You have that optimism that you can have a career that changes the world. You want to work with people, make a difference in their lives, and get the breadth of experience you can build a meaningful career on. This is your opportunity to take the controls of a thriving business and then take it to the next level.
You’ll find what you’re looking for here.
Who we are
We’re MakerKids. We started the first makerspace for kids in the world, and now run award-winning virtual programs, camps and parties on coding, robotics and Minecraft. Our programs help kids develop confidence, social skills, resilience and a positive relationship with technology. We ignite kids’ potential and inspire them to be inventors, entrepreneurs, and innovators. Kids have started businesses, won prizes from NASA, and had positive mental health outcomes. Come change the world with us, one kid at a time. We provide amazing interest-driven STEM programs to help kids move from being consumers to creators.
We’ve been featured in major media such as Wired, CTV and the Globe and Mail, and have spoken at SXSW, Maker Faire, MakerCon, and more. Right now, we’re looking for a new President & General Manager, and we hope that’s you.
What we’re looking for
MakerKids is looking for a General Manager to oversee all aspects of our sales and operations through leading our people to drive continued growth and deliver world-class customer experiences through our programs.
Practically speaking, you will:
- Drive the sales of the business as a whole and exceed personal sales targets. Handle sales and registration by conducting phone calls to interested families, discussing our program at events, and collecting contact information for future follow-ups
- Take a proactive, problem-solving approach to improve our current policies, procedures, and program delivery to maximize our impact
- Lead HR functions
- Manage and oversee amazing customer service
- Create brand awareness and other marketing activities to increase our growth
- Oversee and manage budgets, staff and other positions in the organization.
- Full P&L management and accountability.
- Work with ownership to plan and implement short-, mid- and long-term strategy for the company.
- Meet with CEO and other executives to assess the direction of the company and ensure it is in line with the company’s stated mission.
- Oversee the complete operation of the company ensuring it operates and goals are met based on the direction established in the strategic plans.
- Oversee the development of our new software
This is a varied position, and if you have experience as a General Manager, that variety will feel familiar. You’ll have our full support to make changes that will make a lasting difference on our business.
You’re the right fit for this role because you have an operational mindset, and are always looking for ways to improve processes, or tackle high-leverage challenges to make things run better.
Working with MakerKids
Our bright, colourful, playful Makerspace office is located at 2451 Bloor St. West in Toronto, which is easily accessible through public transit. This position is currently work-from-home / virtual for the time being. We are open to part-time or full-time hours. Evening and/or weekend work may be required.
With us, you’ll enjoy:
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
- Fun social events with the team like karaoke, escape rooms, improv classes, and other activities
What’s in it for you
- This is an opportunity to build and lead a team toward exponentially growing this business within the next few years. Your leadership and success may translate into an opportunity to earn an equity stake in this business.
- Base salary, performance-based bonus, potential for earned equity.
- Opportunity to work with an owner that truly cares about people and is hungry to grow the business.
- The pleasure of overseeing a 20+ person growing team (4 direct reports, multiple contractors, and about 20 indirect reports e.g. part-time instructors) of amazing folks
What you bring to the table
This isn’t your first time being at the controls of an organization this size or larger. If you have these, you’ll be a great fit.
- You’re looking for an opportunity to truly take the reins of a high-performing organization translating the owner’s vision into reality.
- You “see” systems in everything, and use these insights to take operations and customer experiences from good to great.
- You are a coach who loves to develop people and see them flourish.
- You see the value in long-term, strategic planning, but know when to be nimble to seize opportunities or manage risks.
- You have experience leading and growing a 5-20+ person organization with revenues in the 6 or 7 digits or higher
- Your strength is shoulder-to-shoulder leadership and you are equally comfortable working with Management as you are front line staff.
- Proven track record of exponentially growing an organization
- Experience working in a startup
- Sales experience
- Marketing experience
- Customer service experience
- Multiple years in operationally focused service-related industries that place a high degree of importance on their front-line employees.
- Led innovations in customer experience at previous companies
- Experience owning budgets and P&L management
- Demonstrated experience leading teams through significant change
- Scrappy, with the ability to do both hands-on work and management
- Inspiring leadership style. You would be defined as someone who leads by example.
- Experience working with children in a camp or educational context
- Strong computer skills and experience with Google (e.g. Gmail, Google Sheets, etc), Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) for document creation, data entry, and correspondence
- An ability to pass a criminal background check with vulnerable sector screening
Anything on this list would be an asset:
- Experience in one or more of the following industries: service, software / technology, education, edtech, kids' programs, camps
- Experience leading a remote team that delivers services virtually
- Bachelor’s degree in any related field
If this opportunity sounds like the meaningful career challenge you’ve been looking for, we can’t wait to meet you!
MakerKids is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status
We thank all applicants for their interest in MakerKids but would like to advise that only applicants shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.